Supporting digitalization of the energy transition
The move to a low-carbon economy, deregulated market structures and increasing customer expectations are driving utilities to embrace new digitally-enabled business models and place consumers at the heart of their business. Central Market Solutions, which are primarily data platforms to exchange all types of data and support central market facilitation play a key role in this new energy system.
CGI’s Central Market Solutions (CMS) and approach helps clients meet the needs of this rapidly-evolving energy market and embrace the digital transition to new business models. CMS provides a secure and high-performing process and data management framework for operating central markets. It provides all the necessary functions to:
- Operate market codes
- Administer both market and administrative data
- Perform volume and financial settlement calculations
Features of CMS
Handle market processes for distribution system operators (DSOs): Multi-tenant platform handles market processes automatically in near real time and registers master data changes as a “single truth”
Data model and process flexibility: Highly flexible data model supports different market models, combined with configurable market processes
Real-time insight into meter data quality: Real-time settlement insight eliminates the need for batch processing of large volumes of data to determine what is missing
Open interfaces: Open standards easily interface with external market parties as well as internal systems
Thin head-end, independent of meter manufacturer: Proven, strategic thin head-end solution supports new meters and protocols
Monitor and control the smart meter network: Handles all events and alarms from smart meter gateways and optimizes control of the distribution network
Benefits of CMS
Scalability: CMS components are designed to be scalable (horizontally and vertically), while providing the required throughput response times. Cloud services provide further scalability options.
Flexibility: Data center deployments, be it cloud, local cloud or on premise can be mixed and matched according to the needs of the business. Cloud provides maximum flexibility in environment deployment and scalability and is ideal for market testing and certification purposes. In addition, on premise or local cloud provides maximum data protection for production data.
Performance: CMS employs high performance, in memory database technology to manage and process high volumes of metering data, and ensure maximum capability and real-time insight, while reducing the overall total cost of ownership (TCO).
Open technologies: CMS 2.0 reduces the dependence on proprietary technologies and advances open standards such as Open Data, Java and ANSI SQL to maximize integration with existing environments.
Privacy and security: Data privacy and security are key principles in the design of CMS. Data encryption, handling of sensitive data and GDPR compliance are standard features, along with highly granular authorization management and full traceability of user actions.
- 40 years of experience supporting the transformation of the utilities market around the world
- Partner to 450+ utility providers in electric, water and natural gas, including 8 of the top 10 utilities in Europe and North America
- 20+ proprietary utility solutions covering market operators, generation, transmission, distribution and retail services for both IT & OT
- Designed and built 12/18 central energy market systems in the world
- 500+ committed CMS experts worldwide with deep energy market knowledge
- 8 CMS expertise centers in Europe and India
- Strong local presence with 400 proximity-based business units and project offices located across our global footprint
- Proven methodology to execute transition programs and deliver complex projects and service management