CGI and Galileo
Providing secure, mission-critical expertise for Europe’s navigation satellite systemLearn more CGI and Galileo
While satellite navigation (satnav) is used widely in cars and smartphones, we still consider it an emerging technology because the number of reliable applications increases every day. Factors driving this growth include the integration of satnav data with other systems to deliver value for users, and the ever-growing reliability and accuracy of the data.
Much of our work in satellite navigation ensures that systems are secure, reliable and fit for purpose. We validate and verify the information that is broadcast. For example, on EGNOS (Europe’s local augmentation system for GNSS constellations), we develop ground infrastructures and control systems.
We deliver operational systems that use satnav elements in many sectors, including road management and intelligent-transport systems, fleet management, advanced driver assistance, rail and road infrastructure, air traffic control and location-based services, as well as machine-to-machine (M2M) and emergency applications.
Read more about our Satellite Navigation capabilities in our brochure.
- We have been involved in Galileo since 1999 and secured the project’s ground control and mission segments—creating 2 million lines of code and integrating 100 products that meet complex functionality and security requirements. We also established the Galileo satellite constellation control facility that will control all of Galileo's 30 satellites.
- To make GPS usable for safety-of-life applications, the European Space Agency (ESA) wanted to deploy the European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service (EGNOS) to verify the integrity of position data. We built the integrity kernel of the system.
- With SAT-LX, our data supports the rail industry through the integration of space assets into railway infrastructures to improve safety at crossings.
- We work with the ESA to develop the GNSS Event Notification Service (GENS), which will be capable of monitoring the UK GNSS spectrum to enable effective alerting and reporting of position, navigation and time (PNT) disruption.
- Our Secure Tracking Services (S-TrackS) validate the geographic position of both people and goods.