The State of New Jersey
Developed by CGI in partnership with the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs (NJDCA), SIROMS represents a suite of interconnected modules providing a variety of functions in support of Superstorm Sandy recovery efforts for New Jersey.
In April 2013, the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs (NJDCA) sought a partner with demonstrated experience in disaster recovery projects to rapidly operate and manage an information technology system, the Sandy Integrated Recovery Operations and Management System (SIROMS).
SIROMS would enable the State to effectively and efficiently implement its Community Development Block Grant-Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) program, manage the flow of CDBG-DR funds and provide the tracking and oversight to meet CDBG-DR requirements.
The State needed a robust system to be operating quickly, to ensure that the disbursement of large amounts of federal dollars was distributed properly to the people and projects recovering and rebuilding from this disaster.
In May 2013, NJDCA chose CGI to develop and operate SIROMS, which represents a suite of interconnected modules providing a variety of functions. Using agile development, CGI was able to stand up the initial system in just weeks. The modular approach allowed new functions to be added and scaled easily, and also allowed for unexpected changes to be quickly implemented.
CGI provided NJDCA and its partners a shared technology infrastructure, software, IT, financial and Community Development Block Grants-Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) services expertise to support the State in its disaster recovery operations. CGI’s cloud hosted software solutions provide a comprehensive platform to support the State’s disaster recovery efforts following Superstorm Sandy.
SIROMS provides financial management through direct systems integration with the State Treasury system and a full lifecycle grant management system that allows the State to track an application from intake through closeout. CGI also developed the www.newjerseyrebuild.org transparency portal which provides CDBG-DR program updates to New Jersey citizens. All of the SIROMS modules are built with traceability and accountability in mind.
To date, the SIROMS solution has:
- Processed the disbursement of more than $1.8 billion in recovery funds
- Facilitated delivery of 52,000 checks to New Jersey residents through various Sandy recovery programs
- Enabled the traceable disbursement of more than $750 million to date in direct funding to homeowners, helping thousands of residents get back in their homes
- Delivered over 1,000 program critical reports to quickly answer pressing delivery questions from the programs, the auditors, and the Governor’s office
- Assisted NJDCA in successfully passing audits from multiple distinct organizations including HUD and HUD-OIG