Advanced meter infrastructure management
Smart meters are on the rise and will become the norm as climate change, the move to sustainability, increasing regulation, changing consumer demands, and other trends transform the energy market. Smart meters provide suppliers with more information, consumers with more choice and are fundamental to the success of smart grids. Their adoption, however, poses challenges, including the lack of operational standards, new types of data to manage, and integration with business systems, the grid and other market players, among others.
CGI's Sm@rtering is an advanced meter infrastructure system that includes meter data management (MDM) capabilities to help utilities address these challenges and take advantage of the opportunities smart meters present for streamlining operations, improving service quality and the customer experience, and driving profits.
Sm@rtering is a next-generation advance meter infrastructure system that supports data collection, meter and energy data management, meter infrastructure supervision and smart grid capabilities. Key features include the following:
- Flexible, web-based, user-friendly platform: Web-based solution built on a flexible service-oriented architecture; all operations can be performed through graphical user interfaces (GUI) or machine-to-machine (M2M) interfaces that are user friendly and easy to implement.
- Interoperability: Presents a single interface to end users while accommodating different smart meter infrastructures, technologies and protocols; new protocols can be quickly implemented.
- Event-driven validation and estimation engine (VEE): Manages all of the different data types registered by smart meters, including events, load profiles, network quality data, meter configuration values, firmware and more; validation and estimation is based on event-driven processes and configurable rules and workflows.
- SOA architecture: Leverages service oriented development, allowing gradual and continuous growth, as well as the use of subscription and publication mechanisms; enables easy integration with external systems and standardization of procedures performed from the GUI (online) or through interfaces with other systems.
- Integration with TimeSeries solutions: Separates physical and logical layers, thus allowing integration of different databases (simultaneously), including specific solutions for processing large volumes of time series at any stage of solution implementation/operation and easy scalability for large volumes by supporting the deployment of millions of points.
- Multi-company, multi-product and multi-language: Allows configuration of several companies, users and operating configurations, sharing the same system; also enables, in the same installation, the information management of various products (electricity, water, gas, heating, etc.).
- Supervision: Enables utilities to monitor and control smart meters and measure their performance based on KPIs while complying with ITIL® best practices.
- Smart grid active network management: Provides real-time processes to analyze data and events relevant to electrical network management such as confirmation of network topology and services to improve energy fault detection and repair.
- Improved active distribution network management
- Support for micro generation and electric vehicle charging
- Increased understanding of customer usage patterns to manage demand and peak usage periods
- Improved customer service and operational savings through increased efficiencies (including network planning, operation and maintenance);
- Reduced cost-to-serve through reduced non-technical losses, customer complaints and customer debt
ITIL® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.