Digitizing and innovating to meet fast-changing customer expectations
Property and casualty insurers are beginning to see positive results from their digital transformation journeys. In 2021, 27% of executives reported their digital transformation strategies were delivering results, compared to just 19% in 2020. Overall, 59% of executives now have strategies that are either “operational” or “producing results”— a marked improvement from previous years.
Key findings from our conversations with capital markets executives in 2021 follow, or download the PDF.
Top property and casualty trends and priorities
- Top trends
- Fast-shifting customer product and digital servicing expectations
- Managing costs to maintain / improve combined operating ratio
- Meeting and optimizing regulatory compliance
- Top business priorities
- Drive a differentiated, seamless customer digital experience
- Continue to drive end-to-end process automation internally and across the value chain
- Derive value from data to improve underwriting and customer evaluation
- Top IT priorities
- Continue to develop data insights to support the business
- Rationalize, simplify, modernize applications and infrastructure
- Innovate products and the customer experience
In 2021, 89% of executives report having a defined digital strategy, with 40% saying their strategy extends to their ecosystem of partners and suppliers (compared to a 27% all-industry average). This indicates that digital leaders are favoring more open business models and extended supply chains. The table below compares responses to questions from these digital leaders to those from executives whose organizations are still building or launching digital strategies. Learn more about the attributes of digital leaders.
Common attributes of digital leaders
Executives building or launching
|Collaborate more efficiently||50%||17%|
|Are better at aligning IT and business priorities||67%||50%|
|Use managed services and partners more||87%||80%|
|Feel strongly that environmental sustainability is core to creating value for customers||60%||27%|