Los Angeles County, California
Modernizing and expanding enterprise resource planning
When the largest county in the U.S. needed to modernize and expand their ERP capabilities, they turned to long-term partner CGI for an on-time and within-budget implementation.
Los Angeles County needed to increase efficiency, productivity and budgetary control across its operations and services. Obsolete software and equipment, some almost 30 years old, and disparate systems had resulted in a fragmented chart of accounts and labor-intensive payment processes. The County desired a single, integrated system with web-based applications supported by a partner to keep them current with technology advances.
The County chose to continue its long-term relationship with CGI in a multi-phased modernization effort, all based on the built-for-government CGI Advantage ERP solution suite. This partnership has delivered at every phase, including:
- The electronic Countywide Accounting and Purchasing System (eCAPS) project was initiated in 2004 to upgrade to the web-based solution. Since deployment in 2005, CGI has worked closely with the County to provide leading functionality, technology and innovation with software releases.
- The eCAPS footprint was expanded between 2006 and 2008 to streamline procurement, capital assets management, inventory management, and budget preparation with a fully integrated solution. During this time, the County also partnered with CGI to implement a comprehensive, fully integrated Grants Management solution.
- Between 2010 and 2012, the County’s eHR project replaced its legacy payroll and personnel management systems with CGI Advantage HRM.
- In 2013, the County added CGI’s Contract Management System to improve efficiency, flexibility and standardization using county-wide templates, facilitating dynamic assembly of contracts, RFPs and SOWs. Integrated with eCAPS and the County’s Enterprise Content Management solution in a single, integrated ERP system, CMS reduces employee workload, standardizes vendor dealings and decreases operations costs with vendors.
- In 2014, the County partnered with CGI to implement Vendor Self Service, Manager Self Service, electronic Personnel Action Request and Contract Management to further expand capabilities for its employees, managers and constituents.
Using the built-for-government CGI Advantage solution, the County’s ERP modernization projects have gone live on-time and within budget. They have realized their goals to increase efficiency and reduce total cost of ownership, and numerous additional benefits, including:
- Consolidated fiscal functions across departments
- Online queries for acquiring real-time, up-to-date and accurate information on budget status, payments, contracts and vendors
- Tracking and monitoring financial information in greater detail without compromising the uniformity of other County accounts
- New analytical power by capturing supplemental information and introducing online document viewing to streamline payment verification
- Enhanced fiscal controls by introducing electronic workflow and approval processes
- Reduction of downstream timekeeping corrections and reconciliation
- Distributed payroll processing at department level eliminating paperwork
- Real-time access to employee information through self-service capabilities, enhancing payroll and timekeeping administration
- Configurable, built-for-government, table-driven architecture of eCAPS and eHR that supports the County’s policy and administrative changes without requiring application software modifications or system implementation delays.
Los Angeles County continues to partner with CGI to provide business solutions and quality services that advance their strategic goals. The County is currently planning an upgrade to CGI Advantage’s latest release.