Wake County, NC
Recognizing the value of modern ERP systems
Outdated and inflexible ERP systems can prevent state and local governments from operating in a cost efficient manner. When Wake County, North Carolina’s legacy financial system outlived its useful life, the government sought a new ERP system that would improve its business processes and save valuable tax dollars. After a competitive procurement, the County chose CGI Advantage® ERP for its built-for-government functionality and high percentage of fit to their requirements.
"We asked ourselves, what are our non-negotiables, the things we cannot live without? The answer was clear - built for government functionality, modern technology, integration. And a partner committed to our needs. CGI and CGI Advantage ERP was the answer."
- Johnna Rogers, CFO and Deputy County Manager
When the County evaluated all of its ERP systems, including their procurement, budgeting and HR/payroll systems, they identified several issues that prohibited their organization from reaching its maximum potential. Some of the challenges identified were:
- Lack of integration between the systems, resulting in duplicate data entry and too many workarounds
- An over-reliance on manual processes that created inefficiencies and data integrity issues
- The existence of several standalone systems to compensate for the lack of functionality and modern technology
- Limited security and lack of global attributes to support changes.
The County selected CGI and the CGI Advantage ERP solution in December 2006. Wake County recognized the value of a solution that offered built for government best practices out-of-the-box. With a 98 percent fit, CGI’s solution offered the modern technology and comprehensive functionality necessary to eliminate manual and duplicative processes and ultimately more efficiently support the business of government.
Wake County currently uses CGI’s integrated, built-for-government ERP for:
- Financial Management
- Performance Budgeting
- Human Resource Management
- Manager Self Service
- Vendor Self Service
- Managed Advantage.
Managed Advantage – Moving the system to the cloud
After several years of successfully running the CGI Advantage system, the County wanted to upgrade the software but had a limited budget. After a cost/benefit analysis, the County decided to transition to CGI's managed service (Managed Advantage) and realized the following benefits:
- Predicitable spend and lower total cost of ownership
- Reduction of County staff responsibility for managing the system; CGI assumed all responsibility for remotely managing the County’s production system
- Security through CGI’s data center and private cloud infrastructure
- Ability to keep up-to-date with a concurrent upgrade to the most recent version of the software and the implementation of additional Advantage modules
- Long term investment in the ERP system with two included future release upgrades plus an additional bucket of annual CGI development support hours.
For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org