BRAZIL-BASED ELETRONET AND CGI SIGN US$4.5 MILLION CONSULTING CONTRACT
Today Eletronet, a Brazil-based supplier of data transmission networks for telecommunications operators, and CGI Group Inc. (NYSE: GIB, TSE:GIB.A) announced the signing of US$4.5 million consulting contract whereby CGI will provide consulting services to Eletronet in helping them shape their IS/IT and solution requirements as well defining their business processes for all activities. Eletronet provides wholesale bandwidth services to telecom networks, ISP providers and large companies throughout Brazil.
"Our goal is to be able to provide our clients with faster and better solutions. We selected CGI as a partner due to their vast telecom experience and their systems integration capability. Our long-distance network will be over 22,000 km long, enabling our clients to reach the 100 major cities of the country reaching 94% of the Brazilian population - something we are very proud of and want to build upon," said Elson Lopez, president of Eletronet.
Luc Pinard, executive vice-president and general manager, International of CGI added: "We are very pleased about this win as we look forward to partnering with Eletronet as they roll-out their network throughout Brazil. This further positions us in the Brazilian market where we have been delivering services for close to three years in the telecom sector."
Eletronet is a subsidiary of the American company AES Corporation, the world's leading private company in the electricity sector, owning a 51% interest. In Brazil alone AES has invested US$ 6 billion. The remaining 49% belong to Lightpar, an Eletrobrás holding. Eletronet makes use of Eletrobrás transmission lines infrastructure to install OPGW wires, and it employs SDH (Synchronous Digital Hierarchy) and DWDM (Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing) technologies to expand its national network capacity, which will achieve 22 thousand kilometers by the end of this year.
Founded in 1976, CGI is the fifth largest independent information technology services firm in North America, based on its headcount of more than 10,000 professionals. CGI's order backlog totals approximately US$5.3 billion (CDN$8.2 billion) and its revenue run-rate is close to US$1 billion (CDN$1.5 billion). CGI provides end-to-end IT services and business solutions to 2,500 clients in the United States, Canada and more than 20 countries around the world. CGI's shares are listed on the NYSE (GIB), as well as on the TSE (GIB.A). They are included in the Toronto Stock Exchange's TSE 300 index as well as the S&P/TSE Canadian Information Technology index. Web site: www.cgi.ca.
All statements in this press release that do not directly and exclusively relate to historical facts constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements represent CGI Group Inc.'s intentions, plans, expectations, and beliefs, and are subject to risks, uncertainties, and other factors, of which many are beyond the control of the Company. These factors could cause actual results to differ materially from such forward-looking statements.
These factors include and are not restricted to the timing and size of contracts, acquisitions and other corporate developments; the ability to attract and retain qualified employees; market competition in the rapidly-evolving information technology industry; general economic and business conditions; and other risks identified in Management's Discussion and Analysis (MD&A) in CGI Group Inc.'s annual report or Form 40F filed with the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission and the Company's Annual Information Form filed with Canadian securities commissions. All of the risk factors included in these filed documents are included here by reference. CGI disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
- 30 -
For more information:
Tel: (5511) 5642-9392/9390
Director, investor relations
Tel: (514) 841-3230
Director, media relations
Tel: (514) 841-3430